Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nice To Meet Ya! I'm Sorry...

So many things wrong with this photo.
Random Person @ Random Event
So... Whaddya do?

Me
I'm applying to grad school.

Random Person
For what?

Me
(mumbling incoherently)

Random Person
What? 

 Me
(inhumanly fast) 
Traditionalmedicinefocusingon (big breath) preventativecomplementaryandintegrativehealth.

I'm in a weird place in my life right now.  I feel more grounded than ever and I've finally found something that truly resonates with me.  Yet, I find myself apologizing like an idiot every time someone asks me about my future plans.  

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) isn't so bad because no one really knows what it is; but it often requires further explanation like, acupuncture.  Acupuncture, is a filthy, offesnive word which conjures a slew of dirty, archaic images like chanting.

A good therapist would tell me my fears are based on my own superficial views and I should work on being less judgemental.  Clearly, that's the case.  Yes, I'm thinking about you, White-Girl with dreads.

I'm worried people will immediately assume I'm some meditating-yoga-practicing-vegetarian-gratitude-giving-herb-tokin'-sustainable-living-eco-conscious-localism-equal-rights-advocate (Which I am).  I'm afraid they'll think I'm a... 

A hippie (Which I'm not)

Some New-Age-horoscope-crystal-reading freak who just up and decided one day to study TCM so I can tattoo the Yin-Yang on my lower back, perpetuate the Asian-stereotype and greet people with a 'Namaste' bow.  The fact that I had my "Eat-Pray-Love" moment in which I traveled for nearly 2 years just adds to the cliche I'm desperately trying to avoid.  It makes me want to punch my own face.

These are all my issues and the reason why I started this blog.  I want to...

I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me!

1) Get over my lame-ass fear of people judging me.  TCM saved my life and I should be far more grateful than embarrassed for it.  

2) Give people a glimpse as to what a TCM student has to endure.  There's a host of people I've met who think TCM school is a lot like Hogsworth -- Minus the cool capes.

3) Chronicle my journey.  I'm learning very quickly my friends and family can only handle so much of my Ah-ha! ideas whether it's learning about the mechanism of catabolism in my Anatomy & Physiology class or wondering if acupuncture could possibly help with the symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder.  There's a limit and it's exemplified in the increasing rate of eye-rolling.  It's nerd-talk, yo!

I may not be the typical medical student and that's fine -- That's my "schtick".  I just want people to know there are different methods to healing; and just because I believe in a holistic approach doesn't mean I've lost my damn mind.