Friday, May 6, 2011

Fiber or Why I Prefer Brazilian Bikinis


Private beach during my Oahu stay.

                        Summer's creepin'!

Now that I'm using my knowledge of chemistry towards biology, it's pretty dope figuring out why certain foods are healthy and how it all works.  I think if more people started to understand what happens to food as it metabolizes, then maybe we could get more of a handle on a lot of issues we have with food.  This is hard for me to admit because I have a deep emotional connection to food -- I am a genuine Foodie. 

At the same time, I really do love wearing my ridiculously expensive but oh-so-flattering Brazilian bikinis. 
As if I needed more - I'm obsessed with Arcacia


High-Fiber and Low-Carbohydrate is a diet shift I often use as I prepare for summer.  I'm not one of those nutcases who exclude all carbs but I am cuckoo about the type of carbohydrates I eat (complex-carbohydrates) and at what time in the day I eat them (Eat like a King for breakfast and eat like a Pauper for dinner).  

The reason why High-Fiber/Low-Carb diets work is because fiber makes us feel full without the calories.  

Cellulose is a type of dietary fiber and a complex carbohydrate or as nerds like to call it, a polysaccharides polymer of glucose.  Imagine glucose as a single car of a train and cellulose as the entire train.  Cellulose is found in the walls of plant.  We don't make it nor do we have the enzymes to digest it. 

So how does something that is indigestible be healthy?

Fat molecule sticking to Fiber
During metabolizing, fiber acts like magnetic Velcro for sticky fat (cholesterol) and carbohydrates molecules.  Imagine fiber molecules floating throughout the body and attracting as many sticky molecules before they're absorbed into the the tissues of vital organs.  Since we're unable to digest fiber, it just bulks up as it passes through our GI tract (with all the sticky "bad" molecules) from the stomach to the small intestine to the large intestine to... Well, you get the idea.

The major health benefit aside from slimming down is the increased residual time (the amount it takes to pass through the GI tract) which prevents all those bad molecules from sticking around in the large intestine and decreases the risks of colon cancer - a nasty, nasty disease.

The one major thing to note: Since I've increased my fiber -- I've also been incredibly dehydrated which I attribute to the fact fiber soaks up a lot of water in the body.  Just remember to drink LOADS of water.  This past week we've had gorgeous weather and I found myself eating loads of salads and getting super dehydrated.  I cut out the coffee, drank loads of water and started drinking mums tea.  Seriously, cotton-mouth.

Gado Gado
Dietary fiber can be found in plants - fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.  Typically, people will turn to eating salads which I really do love eating during the summer but when I was traveling in Indonesia, I had the Indo equivalent to a garden salad called, Gado Gado

Below is my version of the Gado Gado.  When it comes to cooking, I rarely follow recipes.  My belief is you should get the "idea" of the meal then add or substitute whatever you feel like adding or taking out. 


Mangia Bene!

Gado Gado

Fiber - Blanched vegetables -  Whatever is in season, whatever you like (Fiber)
  • Green beans
  • Tomatoes
  • 
  • Bean sprouts
  • Shredded cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Sliced carrots
  • Corn
Protein - Mix & Match
  • Grilled shrimp
  • Tempeh
  • Tofu (diced, fried)
  • Boiled egg
Carbohydrate
  • Potato (Red, Yukon or Purple - Boiled)
Dressing Serves 2
  • 1/2 c Peanut butter
  • 1/4 c Fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 c Soy sauce
  • Minced ginger
  • Minced garlic
  • 1 c Water
  • 
  • Chili sauce like Sirracha
  1. Add all the vegs, protein, carbs and arrange them in a huge salad bowl.
  2. For the dressing, start with the peanut butter and drizzle the lime juice, soy sauce and water slowly to figure out the right consistency.  Traditionally, the sauce should have a similar consistency to a thick Ranch dressing.  Add more water to thin it out; add more peanut butter to thicken it.  (*Peanut sauce is also great as a marinade)
  3. Eat at room temperature.